“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.”
– Nelson Mandela
This comprehensive project focuses on rehabilitation of Ikot Etenge Primary School located in Edemaya, Ikot Abasi Local Government Area of Akwa Ibom State, Nigeria. This primary school which serves over 200 local students is in need of urgent repair and adequate sanitary facilities. A school should be a place where children go to learn, work hard and hope for a bright future but hope becomes an illusion when your learning environment in itself presents a hopeless situation.
As seen in these photos from our recent visit, the school is in need of major rehabilitation and new construction works as broken below.
The Major Components of This Project Include:
- Installation of potable water/borehole system. (COMPLETED January 19, 2017. Please click here for project update)
- Construction of toilet and sanitary system.
- Renovation of two existing classroom buildings. Renovation will include repair of walls and floors, installation of doors and windows, ceiling, electrical conduits, fans, lighting units, painting etc.
- Furnishing of classrooms with good quality desks and chairs.
- Installation of a school sign board.
- Donation of school supplies such as textbooks, computers, school bell etc.
The Goals of This Project Are:
- To provide clean drinking water for the students thereby reducing the spread of waterborne diseases such as dysentery, cholera and typhoid fever.
- To provide adequate sanitary facilities including toilets and hand wash sinks and educate students on the importance of hand washing after using sanitary systems.
- To rehabilitate school buildings and donate important educational supplies with the aim of alleviating the educational disadvantages to the students and building a conducive and inspiring learning environment.
- To create short-term employment opportunities for young men in the community who will be utilized for a majority of the unskilled labor needed to complete this project.
- Phase I: Installation of safe and clean water/borehole system (COMPLETED January 19, 2017. Please click here for project update)
- Phase II: Construction of toilets/sanitary system (Current Phase)
- Phase III: Rehabilitation of school buildings
- Phase IV: Furnishing of classrooms and donation of school supplies
At the end of this project, we ultimately aim to improve learning conditions for all 200 students who attend this school but we cannot achieve any of these goals without your support.
JOIN US IN MAKING EDUCATION A BETTER EXPERIENCE FOR THE CHILDREN WHO ATTEND IKOT ETENGE PRIMARY SCHOOL.